PETROCHEMCAL SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONE
Authority: National Petrochemical Industries Company Organization
Head office: 406, Motahhari Ave., Tehran 15958 Iran.
Tel.: +98 21 8880 0851-4
Fax: +98 21 8880 0857
Surface area: 1770 ha
The National Petrochemical Company (NPC), a subsidiary to the Iranian Petroleum Ministry, is owned by the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran . It is responsible for the development and operation of the country's petrochemical sector. Founded in 1964, NPC began its activities by operating a small fertilizer plant. Today, NPC is the second largest producer and exporter of petrochemicals in the Middle East .Over these years, it has not only expanded the range and volume of its products, but it has also taken steps in areas such as Research and Technology to achieve more self-sufficiency.
The appearance stage
• Fertilizer unit in operation in 1963
• The foundation of NPC in 1963
The first development stage
• Industry development in accordance with three development projects in duration of the period lasted from 1963 to 1986.
• Supplying fertilizers , petrochemical and chemical bases for domestic consumption
• The foundation of several petrochemical complexes such as : Bandar e Emam (Iran - Japan) , Farabi (Iran Nipon) , aaaKharg , Pazargad , Carbon Ahvaz (Iran) , Razi (Shahpour) , and Shiraz development projects.
• Reaching to a minimum production level during the war till the middle of 1988
• Accomplishment of Shiraz Petrochemical development plan
• The stoppage of construction of Bandar e Emam complex
The restoration and renovation stage
• Reconstruction of damaged complexes due to the war during the period of the first development plan from 1989 to 1994
• Putting into Operation of some of main projects including Esfahan and Arak petrochemical companies , as well as completion of Bandare Emam complex
• Development of export , privatization and profitability considered in the 2nd five-year-plan in the period lasted from 1995 to1999
• اIncrease in yearly production from 2.4 to 11million ton through the putting in to operation of the remaining projects left from the 1st five-year-plan
Mutation and stabilization stage
• The beginning of globalization of the industry on the bases of the experiences gained from the first and 2nd five-year-plan to be used in the third five-year-plan
• The export development , as well as industry improvement in non-oil-export
• Increase in privatization and R&D
• Productivity in current capacities , as well as establishment of new production capacities
Up to this part of the third plan, in addition to the putting into operation of MTBE and Paralyzing, engineering polymers and the first phases of 6th olefin and 3rd Aromatic, the other projects are also in the last stage of installation and ready to be in the production lines. Meanwhile the long-term plan is crafted with the aim of the execution of the 4th and 5th plans in order to reach the 20 billion dollar revenue . Therefore National Petrochemical Company has tried its best to achieve a higher position in region and global market through applying its competencies. Improvement of indices and economic factors such as production level , export , investment , value added , GDP contribution , regional contribution , and target market extension , resulted from effective participation in global market , are considered in the three five-year-plans , particularly in the 3rd plan , providing the essentials of the future development plans .